Saturday, June 18, 2011

Big Z's future (and the draft, too) dominate Cavaliers fans' thoughts: Hey, Mary!

An old friend's future plans and the looming draft dominate this week's mailbag.

LeBron returns, Miami Heat cooks Cleveland Cavaliers, 118-90View full sizeZydrunas Ilgauskas' NBA career may be at an end, and the former Cavaliers standout is also apparently cutting his ties to Cleveland by selling his home.

Hey, Mary: Z's home in Avon Lake just came up for sale. Does this mean he will be playing in Miami again next season? Thanks. -- Bruce Clarke, Avon Lake

Hey, Bruce: I've seen the sign, too. I don't think Zydrunas Ilgauskas knows what he will do next season. He has a player option to stay with the Heat, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he's retiring. I don't think he plans to be back in Northeast Ohio any time soon.

Hey, Mary: I am really curious about the Cavs' trade exception. They asked for an extension and haven't received word yet, but are they shopping it around? I hear all these rumors about Danny Granger and Andre Iguodala going here and there, and I admit I wish the Cavs would look for a wing like either of them. -- Chris Zanon, Canton

Hey, Chris: Rest assured that the Cavs are trying hard to use that trade exception. Not sure Granger is on their radar but I do think Iguodala could be someone they're interested in.

Hey, Mary: Since Marshon Brooks sat out his workout with the Cavs, will that affect the decision of the Cavs? Has there been any clues of the Cavs taking Brooks if they acquire another mid-first rounder? -- Eric Karaba, North Ridgeville

Hey, Eric: I don't sense that the Cavs have much interest in Brooks. I'm not sure how much his missing his workout because of injury has to do with that.

Hey, Mary: I don't understand why the Cavs just don't stand pat and see how the draft goes. Minnesota really doesn't need Derrick Williams, so I can see them taking Kanter and then Utah doesn't need Williams and they're very interested in Knight. So it's possible Williams can fall to No. 4. Why do we insist on moving up? -- Vinny, Euclid

Hey, Vinny: I don't see anything wrong with trying to improve their draft position, especially if they'd be able to get the top two players in the draft. You could be right, but you might be wrong about Minnesota and Utah. If the Cavs can take those picks out of the equation, why not do it?

Hey, Mary: Where are your tweets? I use to use them as an inside to what is going on with the Cavs. They were the first place that I would check. Very disappointed. Even if you are guessing or stating your personal opinions, I would like to hear from you everyday. -- Ro Chapman, Port Clinton

Hey, Ro: Wow, everybody gets a day off or vacation, don't they? Not promising every day, but when there's news and I'm working, I will tweet it.

Hey, Mary: With the NBA draft looming, I would love to see the Cavs get the first, second and fourth picks. Since Minnesota has such a young team, what if we offered them any four Cavs for the second pick excluding Davis, Varejao and Hickson? I would think adding Jamison, Sessions, Parker and a backup big man would be attractive for them. We take Irving, Derrick Williams and Kanter then look to shore up small forward in second round. Am I dreaming? -- Glen, North Royalton

Hey, Glen: Really? You think adding a couple of 35-year-old guys and a point guard they traded to Cleveland last summer would be attractive to Minnesota? I don't think the Wolves would share that opinion. I'm afraid you're dreaming. If the Cavs can somehow pry away the No. 2 pick from Minnesota, it almost certainly will cost them the No. 4 pick.

Hey, Mary: Since [some in the Miami organization] may be upset with LeBron ... is it possible the Cavs could trade back for him? The Heat need a point guard, so the Cavs could send them Baron Davis, the No. 1 overall pick, a future young center in Anderson Varejao, Samardo Samuels, a new first-aid kit and some of the old Cleveland Rockers basketballs in hopes of bringing in a new women's team and LeBron? -- Owen, Berea

Hey, Owen: You're kidding, right? On the way-off chance you're not, Heat couldn't fit in Davis et al under the salary cap in its current configuration.

Hey, Mary: Do you think there is any chance Cavs draft Williams first and then trade him for another top-10 pick and a player? For example, drafting him and then trading to Washington for McGee and the sixth pick. We could walk away with three potential starters (PG at 4, SF/SG at 6 and McGee.) The other idea is picking Williams and then, assuming Williams is a PF, trade Hickson for a top 10 pick, getting Leonard or Burks for Hickson. Not sure if teams value Hickson that high, but many feel it is a weak draft. Bigger question: Should the Cavs try to move Hickson if they do draft Williams or do the Cavs feel Williams can play SF? Can Hickson coexist with Williams? -- Jay

Hey, Jay: I think any and all options are on the table, but if the Cavs trade away the No. 1 pick or a player who was the No. 1 pick, they're going to have to get an All-Star caliber player in return. I don't think the Cavs want to trade Hickson, so if they pick Williams, they will be confident he can coexist within the existing roster. They do not see Williams as a small forward. Also, I've been told the Wizards will not trade McGee.

Hey, Mary: All the mock drafts have the Cavs taking a big with the fourth pick, but why? The Cavs have options at four and five. Why is no one talking about a SF or SG at the No. 4 spot? We have a lot of need there. I know the draft is thin for those spots, but if I was making the fourth pick I'd take Kawhi Leonard (6-7, 7-3 wingspan, a rebounding machine). Another option, Alec Burks. I think there is a better chance to wait until the second round and then take a big (Jeremy Tyler, JaJuan Johnson, Jordan Williams, Jon Leuer) -- Jared Smith, Layton, Utah

P.S. As I [watched] the finals, I can't help but think Dan Gilbert should write another letter to LeBron James. This letter should include a thank you for saving Mr. Gilbert from wasting potentially hundreds of millions of dollars. I think LeBron [proved] he could never be that championship leader the Cavs wanted him to be. If LeBron had resigned with the Cavs, we are seeing what Cleveland would have been, a great regular-season team, but led by someone who is not really a leader and can't get the job done.

The only way Cleveland could have won with James would have been to get a true leader with star ability (Shaq in his LA days, Kobe Bryant a few years ago, Tim Duncan), people who don't fold under pressure (I mean hurt their elbow in the playoffs). So now that I realize we are rid of LeBron, I hope for a bright future.

Hey, Jared: You answered your own question -- the draft is thin at SF and SG -- and No. 4 is too high for the players you mentioned. I do think the Cavs are examining moving down and would consider those players later in the draft, but they're going to have to acquire a great player or multiple picks to do so. As for Dan Gilbert writing another letter, I think his pen pal days are over.

-- Mary

Source: http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2011/06/big_zs_future_and_the_draft_to.html

The Archers Wigan Athletic International criminal court Republicans Rape Foreign currency

No comments:

Post a Comment