Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Aberavon fan returns from Oz to watch Wizards play in Principality Cup final

A DEDICATED Aberavon fan is returning from Oz to support the team in a momentous final.

Mike Jones, 16, who emigrated to Australia nearly four years ago, knew he could not miss out on Aberavon RFC taking on Pontypridd in the final of the Principality Cup at the Millennium Stadium on May 2.

It is the first time the club, who are known as the Wizards, have reached the final in 36 years.

"I'm really looking forward to both the cup final and the Neath game on the last day of the season," said Mike, a former ball-boy for the club.

"It will cost me about $2,000 aussie dollars, which is about �1,250 pounds, so had to dip in to the savings a bit. But luckily I have family to stay with.

"I have always said I would love to come back if Aberavon made the cup final and seeing us lose in many cup semi-finals before we moved to Brisbane makes me want to come back more.

"I'm very proud of the boys for making the final, and maybe one day I could be running out in the cup final for Aberavon."

Mike, who used to live on Grange Street, moved down under with his mum, Louise, who is a former Commonwealth Games cycling gold medalist, his dad Phil, and his sister Hayley.

Playing

"I played for Aberavon under-8s and under-9s, then when they disbanded I played for Taibach for two seasons then finally for Cwmavon," he said.

"David Walters got me to come to Aberavon and be kicking tee boy from when I was seven.

"I did that for about three years and I then became ball and water boy until we moved to Brisbane.

"My dad also sponsored Jamie Davies for many seasons.

"I am now playing rugby for North Brisbane Rugby Football Club under-19s."

Aberavon RFC's spokesman, Paul Breeze, said they were really pleased he would be able to make the game.

"The boys can't believe it," he said. "They are just astonished that the club means that much to him.

"As soon as we got through to the final and won the semi-final game he booked his ticket."

"It is a big one for us and everyone is getting prepared for it.

Support

"We have just got to get a couple of league games out of the way beforehand and then we will be all set."

He added that they really hope their supporters get behind them at the game.

"We hope we get a few thousand to come along," he said. "We are also hoping to get other clubs interested to come up and support Port Talbot."

Tickets are now available from the club.



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503366/s/1449c54a/l/0L0Sthisissouthwales0O0Cnews0COz0Etrip0Ewatch0EWizards0Carticle0E34618960Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

State pensions European debt crisis Inflation English Defence League Amir Khan South Korea

No comments:

Post a Comment