Sunday, January 30, 2011

Read all about it - on the Herzliya-born Kindle

I love my Kindle. Since Amazon?s version of an e-Reader came into my life two weeks ago, I have stared at it adoringly and fantasised about all the books I?m going to read on it.

When I finally brought myself to unwrap it from its pristine box, it was a wonderful moment.

An hour later, when I?d figured out how to turn the damn thing on, it was even better. Books downloaded in an instant, no need for a post-it note to keep my place, cheaper on screen (or so Amazon said) than in the shops. We?re going to be great friends, my Kindle and I.

So it was with particular pleasure that I read (not, unfortunately, on my Kindle) in the Jerusalem Post that ?critical aspects? of the machine were developed in Herzliya.

Explains Lilach Zipory, from Israeli hi-tech company Sun: ?Amazon contacted Sun (which was acquired by Oracle last year) in California and said they wanted a small device that could be used to read e-books.

?They had already acquired the software to run it, but were looking for the right technical design, and especially a platform to run the software on.

?My team in Herzliya is in charge of developing Java for small non-cell phone devices, so they gave us the project.?

Oh, Kindle. You just keep getting better and better.

Source: http://www.thejc.com/blogpost/read-all-about-it-herzliya-born-kindle

Stock markets Christmas markets Manufacturing data Nuclear waste Xabi Alonso Lee Cattermole

No comments:

Post a Comment