Saturday, February 26, 2011

Coach Byron Scott welcomes new guard Baron Davis: Cleveland Cavaliers Insider

Cavaliers coach Byron Scott welcomes new point guard Baron Davis to Cleveland with a phone call on Thursday night.

baron davis byron scott.JPGView full sizeByron Scott, left, and Baron Davis had a rough relationship while together in New Orleans, but they say things are good now as they get ready to reunite with the Cavaliers.
CLEVELAND, Ohio — Although newcomer Baron Davis isn't expected to arrive in Cleveland until today, Cavaliers coach Byron Scott welcomed him during a phone call Thursday night.

"My first thing I said to him was, 'Baron, this is coach, and I'm very excited,' " Scott said Friday. 'I don't know how you feel right now, and I don't know how you are right now, just because of the fact when you get traded, it does take a day or two to get your thoughts together and realize what's going on.' . . . I understood that he had some thoughts, might have been disappointed."

Scott said as he filled in Davis about the city and the organization -- and the leadership role he expects the veteran point guard to take -- he got the impression all would be well once Davis reports.

"At the end of the conversation, we were laughing about the fact that people say we can't stand each other, and we were laughing about the fact that he was so disappointed," Scott said. "He said, 'Coach, really, I'm looking forward to it. L.A.'s home, and when the season's over, I'll be back home. But right now I'm looking forward to a change.' "

Davis, obtained along with a No. 1 draft choice in the trade that sent Mo Williams and Jamario Moon to the Clippers on Thursday, also posted the following message on his Facebook page:

"First and foremost, I want to say thank you to the fans in LA and all of Clipper Nation. Not many guys get the chance to play at home in front of their family and friends the way I have been able to the past couple seasons, and I am grateful for that opportunity. My former teammates will always be my family, and I wish them and the organization nothing but the best.

"I can't wait to join my new team, bring good energy and help us win games. I'm ready to call The Q home and bring some excitement!!! See you soon Ohio! The Beard is on its way! BD."

Still here: Anthony Parker seemed relieved the anxiety of his rumored trade was finally over, and he was not displeased with the outcome.

"I was kind of hoping I'd still be here," he said, adding that he'd be open to re-signing with the team when his contract expires this summer.

He admitted it was difficult when teammates and friends like Williams and Moon move on, but he's also excited about the possibilities of playing with Davis and rookies Semih Erden and Luke Harangody.

"Those are good additions," Parker said. "If you listen to a lot of the pundits, they say it was a good day for the Cavaliers."

Numbers game: Davis will wear No. 85, Harangody will wear No. 44 and Erden will wear No. 9 with the Cavs.

Davis has worn No. 1 or No. 5 as a pro, but those numbers are worn here by Daniel Gibson and Ryan Hollins, respectively. He wore No. 5 at UCLA. Harangody wore No. 44 at Notre Dame, but wore No. 55 in Boston. Erden wore No. 9 in Turkey, but No. 86 in Boston.

The last word: From Charles Barkley, on Williams and Moon being traded: "I've heard people say that Oklahoma City and the Knicks were the big winners [at the trade deadline]. The big winners are Mo Williams and Jamario Moon."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter: mschmitt@plaind.com, 216-999-4668


Source: http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2011/02/cleveland_cavaliers_coach_byro_4.html

Alliance & Leicester UK security and terrorism Rob Brydon Celebrity Sepp Blatter Lake District

No comments:

Post a Comment